8:59 AM

Love Soup #best09

Day 2 of Gwen Bell’s Best of 2009 Blog Challenge. Best Restaurant Moment

There I sat, enclosed between four walls of gunmetal grey, perched atop a white throne. Fiddling with the zipper of my newly acquired weird ass bra, I was silently hoping that no one would come in and guess what I was doing.
His contented sighs conveyed that maybe, just maybe, I was getting the hang of this whole breastfeeding thing.
He was nine days old and out for a first date with his family at Japanese Village. We spent most of the meal in the bathroom as a Teppan chef entertained my family by flinging tiny pieces of meat in the air and making jokes in Japanese to my grandmother, who actually understood him.
That was seventeen years ago.

Two weeks ago, the very same buddha baby walked towered behind me into the exact building to celebrate his 17th birthday dinner.
The baby who once slept through the meal on my lap, now sat across from me raising his eyebrow while pointing to the steak and lobster on the menu...and ordered it.
That same tiny wonder who was content with breastmilk seventeen years ago probably could have ordered a beer this time around and gotten away with it...but didn't.

Surrounded by our newly blended family and the friends who made it possible for us to meet, I was in awe at how far life has brought us.

And then I looked down into the bowl.



Love Soup indeed.

2 comments:

crow_soup said...

I love soup. Also.

Heather said...

Aw that's so sweet! happy birthday to your "boy" :)

Post a Comment