11:46 PM

Feel It Again

I just now returned home from a great night at dinner theatre. Disco, detectives and dinner. What more could you ask for?
While Rico and I have many nights that could easily vie for Best of '09, one in particular stands out.
21 years ago six of my girlfriends and I drove into the big city for a Honeymoon Suite concert. (any Canadian past the age of 20 will know who these guys are)
Two months ago, Rico and I went with D & L (nicknames yet to be determined) to see Honeymoon Suite once again.
When I was seventeen and standing in the front row, these dudes were GODS. They were at the height of their fame, and the soundtrack of my life was infused with their songs.
This time around, standing in the front row again, they were less than god-like, and more like watching my uncles jamming in the garage. Some things were still the same however:

  1. They still are awesome live.
  2. I still remembered every lyric.
  3. There are still those girls in the front row who love to show off their cleavage in hopes of snagging a rock star (even if they are 20 years past their prime)
My favourite moment of the evening was when aforementioned cleavage barer was put in her place by lead singer, Jonnie Dee when he sang New Girl Now. Instead of singing "And she's a lot like you...." he replaced it with a pointed "And she's a slut like you..."  Classic.

In 1988, at the height of Honeymoon Suite fame I paid $22 for my front row stadium ticket. 2009, dive bar in sketchy part of town.....$25.
In 1988, there was questionable hotel room parties, a car window smashed and public urination (not mine). 2009, some pub food, a few drinks and home in bed by midnight.
Looks like the band members aren't the only ones past their prime.

1 comments:

Canadeanna said...

As I stated that night, it amazed me that they looked exactly the same and yet we have aged twenty years. The fuckers. So. Much. Fun. That, and I wish it was the guys head through the window and not his boot.

Post a Comment