10:35 AM

Be Awesome

Best Article of 09

I read everything. And I mean everything.
From blogs to books, magazines to newspapers, junk mail to cereal boxes. I used to practice my french pronounciation skills by reading the shampoo bottle out loud while I was in the bathtub.
Rincez et reprise.

So for me to pick a favourite article of 2009 is a daunting task. Was it the in depth look at the intricacies of Jon Gosselin's douchebaggery? Was it the article I read about the H1N1 vaccine and its pros and cons or perhaps one of the thousand articles I had to read for my last job regarding the financial crisis? (YAWWWWWWN)

Scouring the internet like I do and jumping from link to link to link eventually led me to Chris Guillebeau. His website The Art of Non-Conformity had me from the word "unconventional". I've always imagined that I would live an unconventional life when the reality is, I'm pretty damn conventional. Middle class upbringing, two kids, live in the burbs, wake up, commute, work, commute, dinner, tv, sleep, rincez et reprise.

Chris's article titled " Why You Should Quit Your Job and Travel Around the World" sucked me in. I was fascinated. At the bottom of the article he promised more to come that caused me to bookmark, sign up and become a member of his "Small Army" immediately.

  • How to earn money without a job
  • How to achieve great things for yourself while also making a difference in the lives of others
  • How to align your values with your life, reducing stress and ensuring that you are doing the right things the right way
  • How to change the world by rising above the norm of mediocrity

While I don't plan on traveling around the world anytime soon (2 kids, and 2 step-kids tend to hamper that impulse, however strong it may be) I have taken every tidbit that Chris offers and am slowly (sooooooo slowly) formulating a plan to live an unconventional life. It's not just about travel. It's about doing what you love, and ways to support that goal. It's making a difference in your life and in others. It's about How To Be Awesome.

While I can't say that Chris was directly responsible for the following steps I have taken, his article and website have definitely been referenced, read and pondered in the midst of my million personal epiphanies a day.
  • I no longer commute two hours a day.
  • I'm no longer employed at a job that I wasn't passionate about.
  • I have reinvigorated my passion for all things creative.
  • I am formulating a plan. (when I'm not playing bejeweled)
  • I want to be awesome. (or awesomer really....yes it's a word)
 Don't you?

3 comments:

Heather said...

Glad I'm not the only one who gets sucked into Bejeweled ;)

Lisa Ashby said...

"Middle class upbringing, two kids, live in the burbs, wake up, commute, work, commute, dinner, tv, sleep, rincez et reprise."

The conventional girl imagining an unconventional life. That's me! I always thought I would live an unconventional life, but I got caught up in the mundane when I escaped to the real world.

Sounds like you and I are in similar places. I have lots of goals for 2010, but one is definitely to be awesomer. :) I am slowly making my way to living an unconventional life. It's been awesome so far. Can't wait to see what next year holds.

imelda said...

Thanks for pointing out these articles :D I want an unconventional life and the travel part would be nice too :) #best09

Post a Comment