12:06 PM

#best09 Life's A Trippy Thing

I thought that Gwen Bell's Best of 2009 Blog Challenge was a perfect way to kick my butt into blogging bliss once again. Ever the starter, rarely the finisher, (can you say 365, Year 2 = FAIL?) I plan to do my best.
 
What was your best trip of 09?

This one is a difficult choice as 2009 saw us tripping around quite a bit.

#3 - Sicamous, B.C.
There were numerous road trips to the cabin at the lake via a convertible Mustang. I have to say that not much can top the sun on your neck, the breeze in your hair and the music cranked while you look forward to days of sun, sand and devouring trashy vampire novels. 


 




# 2 - Quintana Roo, Mexico
We started off the year with a return to living in a Corona commercial.



We headed back to the Gran Bahia Principe for a week of straight out wicked bliss. I packed a swimsuit, flip flops and 12 books. Managed to read every single one in between insane guacamole, mojito madness, snorkeling and swimming. This year we actually even left the pearly gates of our resort and toured the ruins.




It wasn't all beach chairs, books and bars though, (there are many many hours in a day for that.) Our active selves...haha, well Ricochet's active self dragging my lazy self along, partook in snorkeling, taking scuba lessons and an afternoon at Xel-ha which can only be described as Disneyland for snorkelers.



Then there was the incident of the missing locker key.
View said key (red string) around Ricochet's neck here:



Note red string around his neck below? Didn't think so...



After a back track to the rope swing pool, waiting for annoying Italians to stop splashing around, many dives later and a bemused lifeguard who stood by and did nothing but watch our lame attempts at treasure diving, Rico manged to retrieve the key. In a celebratory mood over his triumph we headed....back to our tour bus that was leaving soon? Oh no....must toast the occasion with a Margarita. Right? Seemed like the right thing to do until we stood dejected in the parking lot watching our bus drive away without us.

All in all I loved the week. Who wouldn't? It was as eventful as last year's visit, minus the lost rum punch afternoon on the catamaran (thank god)
But, as great as it was, it's not my number one trip of '09. (DEAR GOD WOMAN, there's MORE?)
(Apologies, I haven't written a blog for three years, I'm a little verbose)

#1 - Montana (with no Hannah preceding)

Spur of the moment, planned one evening, left the next day. Once again a sun filled, iPod charged road trip in the Mustang.


 

We decided to take the long way and experienced the Going-to-the-Sun Road. Amazing views, crazy traffic amid a fleet of 1930s red tour buses, and a plethora of chances for Rico to drive by weeping walls; soaking the car, my camera and much to his delight; my shirt.
 





The drive, the scenery, the company, and the spontaneous nature of it all made this my favourite trip of 2009.  The fact that beer was cheaper than water down there didn't hurt either.



 


*Six Degrees of Separation sidenote: My world has always been the size of a pinhead. Kevin Bacon has nothing on me. Things like this happen to me ALL THE TIME. So much so, I think I shall start a "Six Degrees Saturday" or something...)
  1. I was sitting on a beach chair reading in Mexico while Rico was in the gym (big shock there) and could feel someone staring at me. Lo and behold, I look up and see a good friend that I worked with a few years ago. He was there with a few other peeps from the small town I had moved from. Of all the resorts in Mexico...and out of the 3000 people that stayed in our resort...crazy.
  2. I have a friend I hadn't seen in a few years who always requests Ro-Tel whenever anyone she knows travels to the States. So while cruising Target in Montana I happened upon the Ro-Tel aisle and picked some up for her. The next day we are shopping again (yay strong Canadian Dollar!!!) and someone grabs me from behind and kisses me. Thinking I am being accosted, I turn to see none other than Ro-Tel Girl who happened to be in Kalispell. She was there for a ball tourney with a whole group of my friends who were apparently discussing me around the campfire at probably the same time I was purchasing Ro-Tel.
Details, moments, and memories are what make the journey. And I for one am enjoying the ride.


2 comments:

Canadeanna said...

Ricochet?

Natasha said...

Great photos!

First post in three years, huh? Gwen Bell, the missionary!

Post a Comment